James M. Hughes, MD
Professor of Medicine
Professor of Public Health
Research InterestsMy research interests have focused on surveillance for emergence infections and antimicrobial resistance, monitoring trends in antimicrobial usage in inpatient and outpatient settings, investigation of outbreaks caused by resistant organisms, assessment of options and strategies to prevent and control the spread of resistant organisms, and interdisciplinary approaches to confronting these microbial threats.
- View publications on PubMed
Highlighted published and accepted research articles (clinical, basic science, other) in refereed journals
- Pierce PF Jr, Wilson R, Silva J Jr, Garagusi VF, Rifkin GD, Fekety R, Nunez-Montiel O, Dowell VR Jr, Hughes JM. Antibiotic-associated pseudomembranous colitis: An epidemiologic investigation of a cluster of cases. J Infect Dis 1982;145:269-274.
- Haley RW, Hightower AW, Khabbaz RF, Thornsberry C, Martone WJ, Allen JR, Hughes JM. The emergence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections in United States hospitals: Possible role of the house staff-patient transfer circuit. Ann Intern Med 1982;97:297-308.
- Morris JG Jr, Jarvis WR, Nunez-Montiel OL, Towns ML, Thompson FS, Dowell VR, Hill EO, Vogler WR, Winton EF, Hughes JM. Clostridium difficile: Colonization and toxin production in a cohort of patients with malignant hematologic disorders. Arch Intern Med 1984;144:967-969.
- Jarvis WR, Thornsberry C, Boyce J, Hughes JM. Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus at children's hospitals in the United States. Pediatr Infect Dis 1985;4:651-655.
- Gaynes RP, Cooksey R, Thornsberry C, Swenson JM, Hughes JM. Mechanisms of aminoglycoside resistance among β-lactam-resistant Escherichia coli in the United States. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 1987;7:45-50.
- McCaig LF, Hughes JM. Trends in antimicrobial drug prescribing among office-based physicians in the United States. JAMA 1995;273:214-219.
- Tenover FC, Hughes JM. The challenges of emerging infectious diseases: Development and spread of multiply-resistant bacterial pathogens. JAMA 1996;275:300-304.
- Hughes JM, Tenover FC. Approaches to limiting emergence of antimicrobial resistance in bacteria in human populations. Clin Infect Dis 1997;24(Suppl 1):S131-135.
- McCaig LF, Besser RE, Hughes JM. Trends in antimicrobial prescribing rates for children and adolescents. JAMA 2002;287:3096-3102.
- McCaig LF, Besser RE, Hughes JM. Antimicrobial drug prescriptions in ambulatory care settings, United States, 1992-2000. Emerg Infect Dis 2003;9:432-437.
- Hughes JM. Preserving the lifesaving power of antimicrobial agents. JAMA 2011;305(10):1027-1028.
- Graham DR, Dixon RE, Hughes JM, Thornsberry C. Disk diffusion antimicrobial susceptibility testing for clinical and epidemiologic purposes. Am J Infect Control 1985;13:241-249.
- Dennis DT, Hughes JM. Multidrug resistance in plague. N Engl J Med 1997;337:702-704.
- Schwartz B, Bell DM, Hughes JM. Preventing the emergence of antimicrobial resistance: A call for action by clinicians, public health officials, and patients. JAMA 1997;278:944-945.
- Hughes JM. Antimicrobial resistance: Current challenges and priorities. Inf Dis News 2013; May, 10-11.
Letters to the editor
- Hughes JM. Reply to Letter to the Editor, “Antibiotic resistance and the future.” JAMA 2011;305:2293-2294.
Commentaries, Interviews, and Conference Summaries
- Hughes JM (Perspective). NDM-1 circulating in water samples in New Delhi. Infectious Disease News, June 2011, p 32.
- Hughes JM (In My Opinion). Addressing the antibiotic resistance crisis. Physician Weekly, February 2012; 29(8).
- Hughes JM. Antimicrobial resistance: Current challenges and priorities. Infectious Disease News, May 2013.
- Hughes JM (Perspective). STAAR Act introduced to Congress to combat antimicrobial resistance. Infectious Disease News, June 2013.
- Hughes JM. (Perspective) Signed “commitment letters” lowered inappropriate antibiotic prescriptions. Infectious Disease News, January 2014.